Future basketball star?

Megan had her PIPs (Players in Progress) basketball camp this past Saturday. I think she had a good time. It was difficult to judge her reaction to it. She is not always geared up about starting something new that she doesn't already know how to do.

Shawn and I wanted her to do this for a couple of reasons. First, to introduce her to a sport we know she could one day be good at if she practices hard. The opportunities around here for other things such as dance, gymnastics, piano, etc... are few and far between, even though she seems to be more geared for activities such as these. Second, we wanted her to have something in her little world to be responsible for. Megan has a lazy gene. And the idea of having weekly practices is not appealing to her. I think that is why she informed me Saturday night before bed that she didn't like PIPs. She thought it was a one day thing and that was it. Third, I ate, slept, and breathed basketball when I was in high school. I guess I just want to live vicariously through my daughter. And hey, it sure beats playing soccer and softball. But if this doesn't work out, she can always become a hairdresser. Although Madelyn will probably not be her first customer. (If I can get Madelyn's hair fixed and looking normal again I might can laugh about the fact that Megan decided to take it upon herself to give her sister a haircut.)
The funniest part of camp was when they were sizing Megan for shorts and a shirt. The lady held up the smallest pair of shorts to her and then turned around and asked another lady if they had any extra smalls. The outfit just hangs all over her. It makes some of the skills she has to do a little more challenging.

But I'll be there to practice with her. I broke down and got a new basketball just for the occasion. I think its going to be lots of fun and maybe Megan will have fun too.

1 insightful thoughts (comments):

Kimberly said...

Looks like a younger version of somebody I know. Brings back memories.
I totally get wanting to live basketball all over again vicariously through your kids. I hope my kids want to play it when they are old enough. Of course, soccer isn't really so bad, and I had fun watching Dustin play, and he gets so into it. He's so competitive. I wonder where he gets that?
Take care,
Kim