Our Days

Just a quick update about what's really been going on around here.

Megan ended the summer by making huge strides in the swimming department. If you will remember back to when Megan had tubes in her ears, we had to be really careful not to get water in them. It was at this time that she became terrified of water on her head. Just look at her now.


She has mastered the art of jumping off a make-shift high dive into the pool at Maw-Maw and Papa's house. No floating devices attached. She goes all the way under the water and pops right back up to doggy paddle to the steps of the pool. Wow!!!

This year, Megan is in kindergarten. She loves her teacher and has made lots of new friends, Colby, Jessica, and Aubrey to name a few. I am so excited for her. She amazes me in the fact that she shows no prejudice. I love that about my sweet little girl. If only I could exhibit that quality more often.

She is learning a lot. Handwriting, music, and the beginning steps of learning how to read. She is easily discouraged in that area, so I make sure to work with her in the evenings on the things she brings home. She is also becoming quite addicted to reading library books. She is allowed to check out two books on Tuesday (library day) and keep them for a week. We also get books from the public library to keep it interesting. Every night we read a book before bed. Sometimes it makes is hard to squeeze in her questions for Bible hour. That is something we really need to work on.

Megan is also getting involved in activities outside of school. Today she will attend her first Girl Scouts meeting. She is extremely excited. I was in Girl Scouts when I was about her age. I don't really remember much about it, what we did, etc... But I have a feeling this will be right up her alley. She is not very interested in sports. She brought home a paper concerning youth soccer league. I asked her is she wanted to play soccer this year. She looked at me with a look that said the following:

Mom, you have got to be kidding. You mean wear socks and tennis shoes, run around outside in the hot sun chasing a black and white ball, sweating...

You get the drift. You would think the girl doesn't like to be outside. And that is not the case at all. She just doesn't see a point in the game. And the truth be told, the real reason is the fact that she doesn't like wearing socks and tennis shoes.

Having said that, we did sign her up for PIPs yesterday. That stands for Players in Progress. It is a basketball program that teaches kids as young as kindergarten basketball skills. She will go to a camp out at Rochester on October 6. The whole group (k-6th grade) performs at half time of local basketball games. I remember watching them last year and was amazed at what those kids could do with a basketball. She is really excited about this. And so am I. Basketball was my life in high school. I was hoping that at least one of my girls would take it up. I hope Megan enjoys it...tennis shoes and all.

That should catch you up on what Megan has been doing lately. Madelyn and I are glad to have some mommy daughter time alone. But she really misses Megan when she is gone all day. We both do.

I would post a picture of her, but I don't know what Shawn has done with the camera. He took it to Abilene the other day and I haven't seen it since.

I spend my days taking Madelyn to the potty, changing the DVD to the episode of Blue's Clues that Madelyn insists she needs to watch, and trying to convince her that it would be okay to play by herself for just a little while. She definitely has that second child thing down where she is unable to play by herself. Overall, I manage to find a few hours to do the things I need to do.

Madelyn is learning so much herself. She has amazed me at her ability to learn numbers. Maybe because numbers/math comes naturally for me. Before she was 18 months old she could count to ten. And shortly thereafter, she learned to recognize numbers by sight. I quiz her often and every time she spouts off (2) two, (4) four, (3) three, (5) five, (8) eight at the sight of the number I just can't believe it. We've just about mastered the basic colors also. I guess it's about time to move onto letters. She knows a few by sight, just ask Maw-Maw about the letter Y.

I guess that's all for now. I have a long to do list today. Maybe I can at least get started on it.

1 insightful thoughts (comments):

Miranda said...

I was in PIPs!!! I remember really enjoying it. We even performed at half time of a Tech game, although if memory serves correctly, I think I tripped and fell in the middle of the court. Obviously I wasn't too scarred.