Man vs. Ponytail

I never expected to see the day when girls would get sunburned in the places they do today.
Will Rogers
Brandy just returned from her annual 2-day tax seminar. I am proud to report she still had a house standing when she returned, and all children still breathing no worse for the experience, although future psychiatric exams may prove me wrong. Actually Brandy is a merciful woman (merciful to Madelyn), and only left Megan with me. Since Megan is now in Pre-K she had to stay for school while Madelyn got a chance to see Maw-Maw and Pa-Pa. Although my wife trusts me with many things, she understands I am but a simple man, with a very large forgetfull streak. Before she left she reminded several of her friends to remind me that I had a daughter to pick up from school. I am glad to say I did not get home after school and wonder why the house was so well kept and silent, and just go on my way. No I remembered, with the help of about 5 different reminders, 2 from a fellow teacher down the hall.

We had a great time together, I think. When its daddy-daughter time, we seem to find ways to stay busy. When we got home from school, we decided to go wash the truck, and get cokes from Sonic. She shared my cheesecake bites, but only would eat the brown crust leaving the cheesecake filling for daddy to eat. After I finished the last bite, she came over to ask me, where her other one was, and I had to ask forgiveness for eating the last one not knowing it had her name on it. I guess there are just certain "prerogative" issues daddy is just supposed to understand when it comes to his position and that of "the princess".

Later it was time for a daddy-daughter tradition -- the "Big Sandwich." We go to Subway and split a foot long sub. This time on our way to the store we went around town looking at the Christmas decorations. I have decided that we should move to the coast, for the sake of advancing my daughters innate abilities. She would excel at snorkeling, for she took one breath when she entered the car, and did not inhale again until we made it to get the "Big Sandwich." All I heard was: "Daddylookatthelightsinsn'titprettylookdownthestreetturnherelookhere Ilikethatsantaheisn'tscarryIseetreesdoyouseethemturnhereyoudon'tknowwherewearedo youwhereareallthelightsohwaitIseesomemore..."

The only snag for Megan was when it was time to get her hair combed in the morning before school. Unfortunately my daughter had had two "bad hair days" and has her dad to blame. I take full responsibility. I can climb 14,000 foot peaks, pack for weeks with what's on my back, all the while carrying on insightful discussions on science, philosophy, and religion. But ask me to make a good ponytail... I'm stumped.

I did try. I think I combed poor Megan's hair for ten minutes each morning. Just about the time I thought I had all those little hairs rounded up, some would slip through my grasp. I finally told Megan we would have to go for the "Chicago" look (windy) and let the wisps fall where they may. She would look at me with very understanding eyes, and with the care you find only in a young ones face say to me:

"When is Mommy going to come home?"